Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: My suggestion on the Alumni module
Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
drew,

The reason I answered your post is because I wasn't sure you knew how to use the category system because of this statement

"However, in this version of Alumni module, you got the same form with school attribs for sub categories. School under school doesn't make any sense to me."

The other reason I answered is so you are not waiting for something that probably isn't going to happen.
You are right though, why is there a field called country, That field is not in the version I use on my sites, but I could see where it might help someone living on the border of 2 countries or I would have removed it.
What I mean by local.
This module was really designed for High Schools and Colleges, Where I live you do not really graduate from elementary school or middle school, and I don't believe that information about kids should be accessable on the internet. Now if someone wanted to say which other schools they attended, they could use the extra info section for that.
What I do believe this module needs is an export option for the admin of the site, and it could use a way to import data as well. I will try to incorporate them in the next version, but there will be no new versions until after Xoops 2.3 is released.

Hope that makes it more clear,

John

Posted on: 2006/9/14 17:25
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My purpose of writing here is to make my suggestions on helping you making a more powerful module with more funtions.

I think the current version of Alumni is fully fuctional, and I've read the readme and am quite sure that I understand how to use it correctly. However, the current version of Alumni doesn't fit to a border situation, and that's why I took the initiative to write to you here to make my suggestions. I'd appreciate your taking them into ur next generation Alumni module, instead of answering them as if they are questions needing answers.

I don't quite understand your defination of "local community". I live in a very big city, the "local community" is too big to be handled by the current version of Alumni for sure. There are hundreds of schools in my city, making it impossible for an admin to add all the schools by himself.

Moreover, if this module isn't designed for a broder picture, why is there an option for school named "country"?

After a school is created by either the admin or a site visitor, as I suggested, visitors want to sign to the school should have the funtion of creating their own class, or in other words, visitors got to be enabled with the permission of creating sub categories. These creating jobs can't be done by admin himself alone, and it loses the sense of making an interactive online community by implemeting the Alumni module.

I looked into some of the php files of this module, and thought it was revised from the Job module, and that's why it's not powerful enough for being an Alumni module I think.

Again, I do appreciate all the hard work and time you've invested into making and providing us the modules. And hope to see more high quality modules from you.

Posted on: 2006/9/11 5:07

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
drew,

1. This module was designed to be for a local community, not a national alumni registry.

2. I think if you look in the modules preferences you will see the first config item is "Use Categories" by default it is set to No, If you want to use categories you must set this to Yes. And inside the readme file it says in capitol letters:
FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO!
YOU MUST SELECT CATEGORIES OR NO CATEGORIES IN THE PREFERENCES SECTION. I thought it would be pretty clear how to use it, inside the category maintenance it says ****** If this is the School fill in below ******
If it is not the school but the category, then you do not fill in the below you just add the title and category and click on 'Add'.

3. Because of the answer to you first suggestion, I think the third one is irrelevant.

4. I think answer 2 also answers this.

Thanks for the suggestions though, always could use feedback.

John

Posted on: 2006/9/10 19:03

My suggestion on the Alumni module
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I like your Alumni module a lot, however, I'd make the following suggestions for the next version of Alumni.

1. Make the site member able to add schools. There are a very huge number of schools. If only admin has the permission to add school, the admin is able to die when adding thousands of schools.

2. I understand that school = main category in your current structure. Then there should be a default secondary level of sub category structure, i.e. class = 2nd level sub category. However, in this version of Alumni module, you got the same form with school attribs for sub categories. School under school doesn't make any sense to me.

3. Others mentioned school type issue in this forum. I think the solution could be adding one more attrib to school (or the main category), that is "school type", and members are able to select from "primary school", "junior high", "senior high", "college", "univ.", and etc. And in the search function, I suggest to add an "advance search" function, enabling search options like "school type".

4. There might be more issues related to the class sub category. Hope you could find clues from some running alumni sites.

Thanks for your time and efforts on providing us all these modues.

Posted on: 2006/9/8 12:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.
You cannot use signature.
You cannot create pdf.
You cannot get print page.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Main Menu

Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 3

more...

Donat-O-Meter
Make donations with PayPal!
Stats
Goal: $25.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $25.00