Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: HTML in email notifications
Zoner
Zoner

See User information
I agree on this. The ad title, of course, needs to be in the notification. Also, I would like to see the listing ID, so, while you are making changes, please put this in.

As to the description, it doesn't need to be there. I just didn't want all of the html tags in the email. But that won't be a problem with the method you propose.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/6/12 20:18
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
As far as html in notifications, I am going to put the notifications back the way they were, (basically , there is a new listing you can see it here) with a link to the site.

I am doing this for more than one reason, first is that they only need to know there is a new listing, they do not need to see the whole listing in an e-mail, I think this is wrong for a lot of reasons mainly because you want them coming to your site to see the listing.

second what if the user selects notify me by PM, then you have this same problem.

Plus I am not going to release something that requires a hack to Xoops Core, unless it is extremely important.

If you really want to do it you can try below, but it will not be in any future release, and it is not tested.

go to Xoops root/kernel/notifications.php

and add:

$xoopsMailer->multimailer->isHTML(true);

Somewhere after:

// Set up the mailer

That is as far as I am going on this issue, as I think it is wrong to send the whole listing in a notification.

I have not tested this out and I am not going to, and you will need to figure out what you are going to do about PM's.

John

Posted on: 2008/6/12 17:55

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Quote:

john wrote:
I have found the fix for this problem, I should have the changes for you by the end of the weekend.

Any more on this? Wysiwyg notifications are still a mess.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/6/12 16:14

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello John
Sorry for the long time ...
Well - yep - the scroll box might be long
But it can be made of double-scroller (no problem to find the code for it on the web)
If you ask me - there should be also "location" scroller

Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:11

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
That is a lot of categories, I figured it would be for smaller sites. When I was putting this together I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of queries(but the time was not to bad), then I looked at other modules and they too, had lots of queries. I had the idea of having just one, and do the rest with code, but I don't think I'm good enough to try that yet, I think I could do it but it would take way too long. I don't really know to much about the weblinks module.

As for Jobs 3.0 Final, I couldn't give a time frame, but RC3 is about ready, I just need to package it up. It is all the fixes made in the forums and thats about it.

I have a question for you. When you have that many categories, I'm wondering what a dropdown box for the cats looks like? Is it overwhelming? The reason I ask is that you wanted a search that would include categories, would a dropdown box be good, because typing in the category could be trouble for some users. Just trying to get the search figured out in my head.

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/4/9 19:02

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
bump ..

Any comments on this ... ?

Posted on: 2008/4/9 14:47

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello John
Of course, I made HTML templates too (that's one of the benefits of it all (made a better promo for my site and for my company with the html ability)

there is one more important issue though:
I have about 230 categories @ my site, and lately my site became eproximately 1400% slower.
I turned sql bebug on and found out that classified generates about 500 queries (A real mySql Bomb for big sites)

Total Number of Queries473  |  Total SQL Generation Time0.116997

After turning cache for the module - it goes down to good results:

Total Number of Queries18  |  Total SQL Generation Time0.009401

So - I reacon that the module was based originaly on the "links" module whixh was always a queries bomb, and was the base on almost 1/2 of "listing style" xoops modules ...

It's better that the readme will to include a warning for turning cache on when there are more then a few categories ...
there was a similar issue with the "weblinks" module and Ohawada had to enter all categories into a database field and let the admin generate/regenarate it by the admin...

AND
in another issue - the Jobs module - it there any ETA for releasing the 3.0 finale ?

Posted on: 2008/4/5 2:19

Edited by Tzvook on 2008/4/5 3:15:50
Edited by Tzvook on 2008/4/5 3:21:51

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
I have found the fix for this problem, I should have the changes for you by the end of the weekend.

@ Tzvook

I have been trying isHTML() to get it working but was not happy with the results, until I made a html template.

I do plan on going through the search function in this module, not sure it an easy task but it is planned on in the future, not yet though.

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/4/4 19:49

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Jere , John

The missing thing in my solution was probably the fact I hacked phpmailer to work with html before ...

take a look @ here : http://www.xoops.org/modules/newbb/vi ... t&topic_id=46789&forum=20
This is the base of all my xoops sites with the custum block having a wysiwyg ablitiy + PM system and a lot more (not a wide-site hack, but a per-textarea small hacks ... (all done 2 yrs ago ... for the 2.2.x series)

John
The most needed thing in the module is (from my point of views) is a block (and/or) an advanced search page which takes data from DB and let you search in the following way

search for ___________ in "$_MAIN_CATEGORIES_" in "$___CITIES___"

this is a must in every classified module and shouldn't be so hard to be done ...

TZ

Posted on: 2008/4/4 14:40

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Thanks. What about the "Your ad has been approved" notification? Also expiration notice where you get this:

Duration5 days<br /><br />Expire notice3 days<br /><br />Should receive notice on 3/21

While we are on the subject, I think that there should be notification when any ad is published whether moderated or not. In my opinion, the "approved" notification should be changed to "published" and sent whenever the ad is published, whether after approval or otherwise. This notification should contain the full text for record purposes.

I can see a person having 10 or more ads active at a time. How do they keep up with them? I would want a complete copy on my local system, sent to me when published, including the expiration date, which, on a moderated ad, would be from the date of approval. But the description should be text only.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/4/4 12:38

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.
You cannot use signature.
You cannot create pdf.
You cannot get print page.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Main Menu

Who's Online
16 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 16

more...

Donat-O-Meter
Make donations with PayPal!
Stats
Goal: $25.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $25.00