Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jobs 3.0 RC2 Released 1-6-08
Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Regarding whether applicant location, target job location, or both should be shown in the initial view resume screen:

The resume is a job applicant document, so, here anyway, the applicant's interests supersede those of the employer. I have done some reading, and there is no question but that an applicant's residence could be used to screen him out before an employer even looks at the resume. With that in mind, I believe that the initial screen should show, if anything, the target job location, or where the person wishes to work. Since this could be several locations, city and state fields are probably not appropriate. So, if this field is shown, it should be a text box wherein the applicant can list several cities and/or states if desired.

Also, after looking into the matter, I'm not sure whether salary and experience should be there, either, since the applicant's objective is to get the employer to view the resume, so anything which might cause the employer to pass up the applicant before reading the resume might ought not to be on the initial screen. I might personally prefer a large "Comments" or "Other Information" text box wherein the applicant could put what he wants. If he wants salary and experience on the first screen, then he can put it there. Or, he can put whatever information he feels might cause the employer to view the resume. It could be like a mini cover letter.

So, at this point anyway, I'm thinking have a "Target Location" or "Job Location" text box and a "Other Information" larger text box and do away with salary, location, and experience fields.

Perhaps others will offer input on this, also.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 20:01
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Quote:

Found the fix for the create resume part.

Okay, got it fixed. I see that it is a simple text input form. Nothing wrong with that. I like it. There needs to be a way to preview the resume, however, and to modify it once submitted. In its current form, without these features, I would personally prefer that it not be there at all. Just use the upload feature.

And on the user side modify resume page, it says at the bottom:

Current logo: created [ ] delete this logo
New logo: (___________) Browse

And on the admin modify page, it also refers to logo at the bottom.

I'm not sure what all of this is for.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 17:53

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
Found the fix for the create resume part.

Go to the file addresume.php around line 280 and find this line:

redirect_header("index2.php?pa=viewResume&lid=".addslashes($lid)."",3,_JOBS_RES_ADDED_PLUS);

change to this:

redirect_header("createresume.php?lid=".addslashes($lid)."",3,_JOBS_RES_ADDED_PLUS);

Then go to xoopsversion.php around lines 52 thru 55 look for these lines:

$modversion['templates'][16]['file'] = 'jobs_view_created.html';
$modversion['templates'][16]['description'] = '';
$modversion['templates'][16]['file'] = 'jobs_view_photos.html';

change to this:

$modversion['templates'][16]['file'] = 'jobs_view_created.html';
$modversion['templates'][17]['file'] = 'jobs_view_photos.html';
$modversion['templates'][17]['description'] = '';

only changing the number 16 to 17 for lines 54 and 55

You should be directed to the right page and it should work with these fixes.

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/2/1 16:56

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Quote:

john wrote:
The fix for the state not showing in the resume page is:

go to templates/jobs_resume.html around line 23 and look for this line:

<td class="odd"><b><{$local_head}></b> <{$local_town}></td>

change it to:

<td class="odd"><b><{$local_head}></b> <{$local_town}><{if $state}>, <{$state}><{/if}></td>

Got it.

Quote:

Now I would think the location would be where you are, but you bring up a good point. Do you think there should be another field for where you want to work? Or just have the one field and have it explained on the page?

I would like your input because to tell you the truth I have never even written a resume, imagine that. So any input is welcome, and that goes for anyone not just Jere.

It's been a long time since I have. I'll do a little research and get back.

In the meantime, what about the create resume problem? How this is set up will have a bearing on the location discussion.

Quote:

And Jere I can't reproduce that category error, but I still will try.

That's strange. Not quite sure what that means. Maybe a PHP, Xoops, or MySql thing. Like I said, I'm using PHP 5, MySql 4.something, and Xoops 2.0.17.1. Not likely to go to 2.0.18 anytime soon. Too many reported problems.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 15:14

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
The fix for the state not showing in the resume page is:

go to templates/jobs_resume.html around line 23 and look for this line:

<td class="odd"><b><{$local_head}></b> <{$local_town}></td>

change it to:

<td class="odd"><b><{$local_head}></b> <{$local_town}><{if $state}>, <{$state}><{/if}></td>

Now I would think the location would be where you are, but you bring up a good point. Do you think there should be another field for where you want to work? Or just have the one field and have it explained on the page?

I would like your input because to tell you the truth I have never even written a resume, imagine that. So any input is welcome, and that goes for anyone not just Jere.

And Jere I can't reproduce that category error, but I still will try.

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/2/1 14:10

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
re Resumes
---------------

One more thing. I'm going to list this by itself, because I want to ask a question about it:

Problem - On the view resume page, the Location state field is not shown.

Now for the question: When you are entering a resume, what are the Location City and State fields for? Where the person lives, or where he/she wants to work?

A person entering a resume is going to wonder this, and I think that it should be clarified on the form.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 12:43

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
The more I fool with this module, the better I like it. It is well thought out and well designed, and I think it is a great addition to the Xoops family of modules.

I have a question, and I'm going to ask it while I'm thinking about it. What notifications do job listers and resume listers receive? I would like to see notification that job/resume listing is going to expire so that they can re-list if they desire. These listings typically last a long time, and manually following up would be a chore. And then, somewhere down the road, an easy way to renew (for both Jobs/Resumes and Classifieds) from the user side.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 12:20

Zoner
Zoner

See User information
Quote:

john wrote:
That should fix the admin modification page. Are you still having this problem on the user side?

Nope. A quick look indicates user side ok. Patch seems to have fixed admin side, too.

Let me know about resume stuff as you have time.

Keepin' on...

Jere

Posted on: 2008/2/1 11:53

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
Another change not related to above.

index2.php around line 258 look for this:

$show = $xoopsModuleConfig['resume_perpage'];

change to this:

$show = $xoopsModuleConfig['jobs_resume_perpage'];

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/2/1 6:54

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
On the admin/index,php around line 469 look for this line:

$result = $xoopsDB->query("select lid, cid, title, expire, type, company, desctext, requirements, tel, price, typeprice, contactinfo, date, email, submitter, town, valid, photo from ".$xoopsDB->prefix("jobs_listing")." where lid=$lid");

It is missing the status field so change to look like this:

$result = $xoopsDB->query("select lid, cid, title, status, expire, type, company, desctext, requirements, tel, price, typeprice, contactinfo, date, email, submitter, town, valid, photo from ".$xoopsDB->prefix("jobs_listing")." where lid=$lid");

That should fix the admin modification page. Are you still having this problem on the user side?

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2008/2/1 6:35

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.
You cannot use signature.
You cannot create pdf.
You cannot get print page.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Main Menu

Who's Online
4 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 4

more...

Donat-O-Meter
Make donations with PayPal!
Stats
Goal: $25.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $25.00